Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Beans and Barley Salad
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned black beans
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned kidney beans
- 1 1⁄2 cups barley (not quick-cooking)
- 9 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons dijon-style mustard
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts (toasted lightly)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley
- To prepare the salad.
- In a large saucepan combine the barley with 6 cups boiling salted water and simmer it, covered, for 45 minutes, or until it is cooked but still al dente.
- Drain barley in a colander, rinse, and drain well.
- In a small bowl whisk together the lemon juice, the mustard, and salt and pepper to taste, add the oil in a stream and whisk the dressing until it is emulsified.
- In a large bowl combine the black beans, kidney beans, the barley, and the onion, add the dressing, and toss the salad until it is combined well.
- The salad may be prepared up to this point 1 day in advance and kept covered and chilled.
- Add parsley, pine nuts and salt and pepper to taste, and toss the salad until it is combined well. Serve the salad chilled or at room temperature.