Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I have made this soup over the years. The salt can be adjusted to taste, you can use less. Last time made, I added 2 additional cups of water while cooking.
- 1⁄2 lb lean beef round, i used marinating steak
- 8 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked barley
- 3 cups green cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup parsnip, chopped
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 13 ounces tomato paste
- Place meat, water, barley, salt & pepper in dutch oven.
- Cover tightly and cook slowly 1 hour.
- Remove meat & cut up. Return to pot.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat & simmer about 45 minutes.
Good soup! We soup lovers like the variety we get by trying new soup recipes to add variety to our meals. Made as posted with no changes needed. Love the parsnip and the cabbage combined with the rest of the ingredients. A great supper soup on one of those chilly days we had back in September. Served mini breads made with French Tart's Our Daily Bread in a Crock - Weekly Make and Bake Rustic Bread.Saved to my Soup Cookbook.