Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
A great and healthy recipe from bob's red mill. it reminded me our traditional dessert ASURE.
- 1 cup pearl barley, raw
- 1 cup walnuts, ground
- 1⁄2 cup currants
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- Cook 1 cup pearl barley in enough water (I use pressure cooker, it cooks in 20 minutes).
- Mix cooked barley, currants, walnuts, in 3 quart dish.
- In a bowl combine maple syrup, vanilla, eggs and milk.
- Pour over barley mixture and stir to mix well into barley mixture.
- Bake in 350F for 30-35 minutes.
I love barley pudding and the nuts and maple syrup make this even better! I cooked my barley in the pressure cooker, too. Also, I baked in a "water bath," as I do all my rice custards. The maple syrup flavors the top of the custard, reminding me of flan or creme caramel. I've already made this twice- Thanks Ozlem, for postin. Roxygirl