Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 min
A side dish that isn't potatoes, rice or pasta.
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup barley
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh cilantro or 1⁄3 cup fresh parsley
- 3 cups chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- Saute celery, mushrooms, onions and garlic in butter until soft.
- Add barley and cook until light brown.
- In a 2 quart buttered casserole combine barley mixture, parsley or cilantro and chicken broth. Cover and bake at 350 for 30 minutes and then uncover and bake for 45 minutes more or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed. If necessary, add more broth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
This tasted almost like a risotto. The only problem I had with it was it was pretty bland. I added some garlic hot sauce but next time I'd add some seasoning to the bake. Made for PAC Spring 2012.
stunning loved it I didnt change a thing. Im glad I didnt. Will make again