Yum! Healthy, delicious and guilt free. Plus a good reason to open a bottle of white wine! A vegan or vegetarian dish. You can use parmesan cheese at the end if you are not Vegan.
- Warm the broth in a saucepan over low heat.
- In a large saute pan heat the oil over med-high heat. Saute onion and garlic (careful not to scorch the garlic).
- Add the barley and cook, stirring constantly, for about 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add the wine and cook until the liquid is absorbed. Add the broth, about 1/2 cup at a time, stirring occasionally and waiting until it absorbed before adding more.
- Meanwhile, in a saute pan, heat 2 tbsp olive oil. Saute the asparagus until bright green and slightly tender, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in arugula.
- Once the broth is completely absorbed in the risotto, add the asparagus, season with salt and pepper.
- Option: (For non-vegan): Stir in 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, just before serving.