Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
Barley Antipasto is a zesty salad brimming with Italian flavor. Hearty enough to serve as a meal by itself. Cooked barley combines with Provolone cheese, Italian salami, Kalamata olives and more in this colorful and piquant salad, courtesy of the National Barley Foods Council. Chilling time not included in preparation time.
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄2 lb provolone cheese, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 lb salami, cut into small dice (use good Italian salami for the best results)
- 1 (16 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1 cup pepperoncini pepper, rings drained (or 2/3 cup whole pepperoncini, drained and sliced into rings)
- 3⁄4 cup red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 8 medium white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olives or 1⁄2 cup black olives, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parmesan cheese, shredded (don't use the dried stuff in the green canister)
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup Italian dressing (either store bought or your own recipe)
- Bring water to boil in a medium saucepan.
- Add barley and return to boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 45 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- In large bowl, combine cooked and cooled barley, cheese, salami and vegetables.
- Drizzle with salad dressing and toss to coat.
- Cover and chill 2 hours.
- Just before serving, toss again, adding more dressing if necessary.