Prep 1 hr 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Yummy, basic recipe where the ingredients are merely a suggestion. I use this as a guideline, and end up throwing whatever leftover veggies I have in my fridge in. This is very lightly spiced, so use your imagination and use whatever complements your meal. I think this is nice with some sausage thrown in, personally. Great, painless intro into whole grains!
- 1⁄2 cup wild rice, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup pearl barley, uncooked
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 large bell pepper, diced
- 3 ounces fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup peas
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, shredded
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Rinse rice in colander. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, cook and stir for 10 minutes, or until tender. Add barley, rice and garlic. Cook over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Stir in chicken broth. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered for an hour, or until barley and rice are tender.
- Heat remaining oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper, mushrooms, peas, carrot and oregano. Cook for 5 minutes, or until veggies are tender.
- Stir together the veggie and rice mixture.