1 hr 10 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Yummy, basic recipe where the ingredients are merely a suggestion. I use this as a guideline, and end up throwing whatever leftover veggies I have in my fridge in. This is very lightly spiced, so use your imagination and use whatever complements your meal. I think this is nice with some sausage thrown in, personally. Great, painless intro into whole grains!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Rinse rice in colander. Set aside.
- 2Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, cook and stir for 10 minutes, or until tender. Add barley, rice and garlic. Cook over medium heat for 1 minute.
- 3Stir in chicken broth. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered for an hour, or until barley and rice are tender.
- 4Heat remaining oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper, mushrooms, peas, carrot and oregano. Cook for 5 minutes, or until veggies are tender.
- 5Stir together the veggie and rice mixture.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barley and Wild Rice Pilaf
Serving Size: 1 (225 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 198.1
- Calories from Fat 41
- Total Fat 4.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 391.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 7.7 g