1 hr 15 mins
Tasty, filling whole-grain casserole. Try adding your favorite veggies and make it yours! Adapted from www.barleyfoods.org.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup pearl barley or 1 cup whole grain barley
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 15 ounces pinto beans, undrained
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tuna in water, drained and flaked
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup nonfat milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon dill weed
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
- 2Cook the barley. In a medium saucepan, add the barley, water, and salt. cover and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook until barley has softened and is edible, but not too soft. (Barley will soften up a little more when it bakes in the oven.).
- 3Combine cooked barley with all remaining ingredients, reserving 1/2 cup cheese. Spread in prepared baking pan. Top with remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese. Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until cooked through.
- 4Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
- 5Additional ingredients to try: onions, shallots, mushrooms.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barley and Tuna Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (344 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 431.8
- Calories from Fat 117
- Total Fat 13.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 90.3 mg
- Sodium 1987.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.6 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 32.6 g