Recipe by Food4Life
from Canadian Living Cooks - Slightly modified. Makes 6 servings at 4 Weight Watchers points each.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup barley
- tomato with juice
- 1 cup broth
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans or 1 (14 ounce) can black beans, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil. Add onions and sautee for 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and spices, sautee for 1 minute.
- Add barley, stir well.
- Add tomatoes, broth, sweet potatoes and beans.
- Cook in slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Or on stove top, simmer until sweat potatoes are cooked, 20-30 minutes.
- Dissolve chili powder in lime juice. Mix into chili.