Recipe by Hey Jude
Warm comfort food, good side dish that can also be used as a stuffing for game hens. Also tastes good with venison.
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 ounces pine nuts (1/3 cup)
- 1 cup chopped scallion (including green tops)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley or 2 1⁄2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄3 cups chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat your oven to 350°; rinse the barley in cold water and drain.
- In a medium skillet, heat the butter and brown the pine nuts, be careful, they burn easily so watch them; remove with a slotted spoon and reserve.
- Saute the scallions and barley until the barley is lightly toasted; remove from the heat and stir in the nuts, parsley, salt and pepper- spoon this mixture into an ungreased 2-quart casserole dish.
- Heat the broth to boiling and pour over the barley mixture; stir to blend well, bake, uncovered, for 1 hour and 10 minutes.