Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
This can be a great meatless meal or it will do nicely as a side dish to any meat. I recommend pearl barley (it is the most common varity) as it cooks up better in a crock pot without becoming gummy and sticky.
- 1 cup uncooked barley
- 1 1⁄2 cups 8 vegetable juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 stalks celery, sliced (1 cup)
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 (14 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 4 medium green onions, sliced (1/4 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- Mix all the ingredients except green onions and nuts on a 4-6 qt crockpot or slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 6 to 8 hours or until barley is tender.
- Stir in green onions and pine nuts.
- *Totoast pine nuts, bake uncovered in an ungreased shallow pan at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until golden brown or cook in an ungreased heavey skillet over medium-low heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently until browning begins and them stirring constantly until golden brown.
WOW, was this ever easy to make!! I used Quick Cook barley (cooks in 10 minutes) because I did not have the other. I turned the crock on High for for 4 1/2 hours and added the Quick Cook barley 1 1/2 hours before I was ready to serve. Came out perfect! Thanks Karen.
I made this dish while I was out, and after checking it at 5 hours, it was already overdone. We weren't eating for another hour so I turned down the crock pot to "keep warm" and added a little water but still it was gluey at dinner time. I'm sorry to say we didn't care for the taste at all. Even though I used red bell pepper, it had an overwhelming green pepper taste to it.