Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr 50 mins
Another family favorite.
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 4 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 8 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and chopped
- 9.85 ml dried basil
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 6 (2466.40 g) can beef broth (ready to serve)
- 793.78 g can crushed tomatoes
- 29.58 ml tomato paste
- 236.59 ml pearl barley
- 236.59 ml dried lentils
- salt and pepper
- 59.14 ml chopped fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, add oil and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and garlic; saute onions for 10 minutes or until clear.
- Add next 6 ingredients.
- Cook until red bell pepper is just softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add 5 cans of broth, tomatoes, and tomato paste.
- Bring to a boil.
- Stir in barley and lentils.
- Lower heat and simmer about 1 1/2 hours or until barley and lentils are tender; stirring occasionally.
- Add more broth to reach desired consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into soup bowls and sprinkle with parsley.
I tried this soup out on my family, not really sure what kind of reaction I would get. We all need our cages rattled every now and again. They thought it was delicious and so did I. I went ahead and used the whole 6 oz. can of tomato paste and it gave the soup a stronger tomato flavor which we liked. It may have added to the thickness but we tend to like thicker soups as opposed to thin. This is a very hearty soup with well-balanced flavors that we will enjoy year round. Thanks Nurse Di.
This is a rich and delicous soup I could crave. I had to use a green pepper instead of red, didn't have one, but the rest was the same. Awesome, especially on these cold winter days.<br/>Thanks for the yummy recipe!