Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
We're trying to eliminate some allergenic foods from our family, and needed some alternatives to bread and rice.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lbs lean boneless pork, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large rutabaga, cut into eighths and thinly sliced (about 2-1/2 cups)
- 2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup white wine
- 5 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 2⁄3 cup dried cranberries
- In 6-quart pan with cover, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add pork cubes in batches, stirring and cooking until browned on all sides (about 4 to 5 minutes per batch).
- Remove each batch from pan and set aside. Add onion and garlic to pan; cook, stirring, for 4 minutes.
- Season with salt, cumin, paprika and black pepper. Stir in sliced rutabaga and carrots; cook for 4 minutes.
- Mix in bay leaves, water, wine, chicken stock concentrate, tomatoes and juice, and barley.
- Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Stir in cranberries. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes longer. Remove bay leaves.
- Serve in soup bowls.