Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is a fresh and tasty relish that can be served with grilled burgers, steaks or chicken. We enjoyed it with grilled chicken and vegetables! Cooking time also includes the time for chilling in the refrigerator.Made for RSC #10.
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup corn
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaves, finely chopped or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, minced
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, shredded
- ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- In a medium saucepan with lid, pour in the 3 cups of chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add the pearl barley and bring to a boil again. Reduce the heat, cover with lid, and simmer for approximately 45 minutes or until tender. Stir in the corn and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Whisk together in a medium bowl the olive oil, vinegar, basil, 1/2 teaspoons salt, and pepper. Pour dressing over the warm barley and corn mixture and toss well to coat. Cool to room temperature than add tomateos, bell pepper, onion and carrots. Place relish in refrigerator and chill for 2 to 3 hours.
Very nice condiment, easy to prepare & something a bit different from my usual fare! Didn't change a thing in this recipe & served this wonderful-tasting relish with burgers, with enough left over to serve with chicken breasts another day! Thanks for sharing a great recipe! [Made & reviewed as a kidnapped recipe in the Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #16]