Recipe by lauralie41
This is a fresh and tasty relish that can be served with grilled burgers, steaks or chicken. We enjoyed it with grilled chicken and vegetables! Made for RSC #10.
Top Review by Elmotoo
This was very tasty. The barley had kind of a 'slimy' texture when combined with the dressing (as barley will do) which made this a good but not great recipe. The fresh basil is briliant - it adds such a bright, beautiful flavor. It's a very attractive dish with all the colors of the ingredients. Well done, chef & good luck!
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup corn kernel (fresh or frozen)
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaves, finely chopped or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper (red or green)
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, minced
- 1⁄2 carrot, grated
- ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan with lid, pour in the 3 cups of chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add the pearl barley and bring to a boil again. Reduce the heat, cover with lid, and simmer for approximately 45 minutes or until tender. Stir in the corn and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Whisk together in a medium bowl the olive oil, vinegar, basil, 1/2 teaspoons salt, and pepper. Pour dressing over the warm barley and corn mixture and toss well to coat. Cool to room temperature than add tomatoes, bell pepper, carrot, and onion. Place relish in refrigerator and chill for 2 to 3 hours.