Recipe by dicentra
This is a great stew for cold winter nights! Serve with warm whole grain rolls or grilled cheese sandwiches. Caution: it does make a lot, but freezes well. It can be reheated directly from the freezer in the microwave. Just heat for 2 minutes at a time, stirring between each until it is as hot as you'd like it.
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (no need to drain, the liquid add to the soup broth)
- 1 (15 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 45 ounces water
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans
- 3 tablespoons oregano
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked barley
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- red wine (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Sauté the garlic and onion in the oil in a large soup pot.
- Cook for several minutes, and then add the tomatoes, vegetable broth, water, beans and oregano.
- Bring to a boil, add the barley, then reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes or until the barley is almost cooked.
- Add the broccoli, carrots, salt and pepper. Simmer for an additional 15 minutes, or until the veggies are just tender.
- Serve immediately.