Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a great stew for cold winter nights! Serve with warm whole grain rolls or grilled cheese sandwiches. Caution: it does make a lot, but freezes well. It can be reheated directly from the freezer in the microwave. Just heat for 2 minutes at a time, stirring between each until it is as hot as you'd like it.
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (no need to drain, the liquid add to the soup broth)
- 1 (15 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 45 ounces water
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans
- 3 tablespoons oregano
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked barley
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- red wine (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Sauté the garlic and onion in the oil in a large soup pot.
- Cook for several minutes, and then add the tomatoes, vegetable broth, water, beans and oregano.
- Bring to a boil, add the barley, then reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes or until the barley is almost cooked.
- Add the broccoli, carrots, salt and pepper. Simmer for an additional 15 minutes, or until the veggies are just tender.
- Serve immediately.
This was really wonderful! It was very hearty and filling and we didn't miss the meat at all. It is really nice to find recipes that are good for you, satisfying and filling.