Recipe by Skunklife
This is a beautiful, brightly colored salad - very fresh and hearty! Best prepared several hours to a day before serving: I usually add the avocado just before serving to limit bruising.
- 3 cups cooked barley, cooled
- 2 cups black beans (canned, drained)
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (I tend to add more ( I love cilantro!)
- 1 cup diced avocado (add just before serving)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or other vegetable oil)
- 1 tablespoon onion, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (I use 3-4, but I like garlic!)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the barley according to package directions; drain and cool.
- Combine and toss the barley, black beans, corn, tomato, peas, cilantro, and avocado.
- Combine in a blender or airtight container, the water, lemon juice, oil, onion, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Blend or shake, then pour over salad and toss. Keep refrigerated.