Prep 11 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is from Cooking Light. For an extra kick, substitute 1 finely chopped poblano chili pepper for the green bell pepper and add the red pepper.
- 1 cup quick-cooking pearl barley, uncooked
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 pint grape tomatoes or 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 ounces monterey jack pepper cheese, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
- Cook barley according to package directions, omitting salt. Drain baarley in a colander, and rinse with cold water until completely cooled.
- Combine black beans, next 6 ingredients, and, if desired, cilantro and red pepper in a medium bowl. Add barley to black bean mixture; toss gently.
This is amazing! I made this for myself, loved it, and made more to bring to a family gathering. Everyone loved it so much I was being asked for the recipe. It's very easy to adjust the heat by using different peppers if you'd like. This is a perfect summer dish!