Recipe by CaliforniaJan
Taken from Cooking Light, this soup is delicious made the night before to allow time for its flavors to develop. Serve the soup with crusty bread, crackers, or Spicy Whole-Wheat Pita Chips.
- 2 cups chopped onions (about 1 large)
- 1 lb chuck steak, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped peeled carrots (about 4)
- 1 cup chopped celery (about 4 stalks)
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 5 cups fat-free less-sodium beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup no-salt-added tomato puree
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add chopped onion and beef to pan; cook 10 minutes or until onion is tender and beef is browned, stirring occasionally. Add chopped carrot and chopped celery to pan; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in garlic; cook 30 seconds. Stir in barley and remaining ingredients, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 40 minutes or until the barley is done and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaves.