Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
After the wet dog food scare recently I have started cooking for my big lab. I got this recipe from Food Network. This recipe reflects my changes. The original was on one of Bobby Flay's shows. I mix these in with my dogs dry food (Innova Large Breed) and he gobbles it up (he gets 2-4 patties a day; 1-2 at each meal). :)I hope your furry friend loves it as much as mine.
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked (you can use long-grain as well)
- 1 cup oatmeal (I use cooked oatmeal but dry oats work too)
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed (optional)
- 1 cup cooked mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, green beans, lima beans, zucchini, etc.)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground turkey or 1 lb ground pork
- 2 -3 eggs (keep the shells, pulverize them with a mortar and pestle, if you have one or just crush them up)
- Cook rice in chicken stock or water, covered over a low flame until done, about 20-25 minutes.
- Process blanched/cooked veggies in food processor until the bits are about the same size as the rice. This will help your pet absorb the nutrients. Mix with 2 eggs. Fold into rice mixture. Add ground meat and form into balls. If balls aren't holding together well, add the third egg and mix again.
- Form into round patties and grill, bake or broil until done. I use a large size scoop to make the patties equal size so they cook evenly.
- I refrigerate enough for 3 days worth of meals and then I pack away the rest in the freezer in one day servings and pull out what I'll need the night before to thaw.
- This can also be cooked in a loaf pan, sort of a meatloaf for your pup at 350º for 50-55 minutes or until an internal meat thermometer reaches 160º.
Barkfully successful! My babies loved these....I cut the recipe in half and made mini-burgers since I have mini dogs! They were absolutely thrilled....see the pic! These are easy to make, and a delightful addition to my dog's diet! Thanks for sharing your recipe! Made for PAC Spring 2011.