Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I love this receipe because it tastes so diffferent from others, yet it is so simple to make. My Grandma Barker made this recipe, and its been passed down to me. I use a black iron skillet for cooking the celery and onions - well, because that's what Grandma did!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Preheat skillet, adding in 3 tablespoons bacon grease. Cut up the celery and onions, chopped into small pieces. Add to heated grease. Cook for approximately 20 minutes - until celery is soft and onions are translucent.
- Season bread cubes with salt and pepper. Crack the egg, and using a fork, break the yoke, mix then add onto the bread cubes. Pour the celery and onion mixture over the bread - caution, this will be hot. For extra moistness, add chicken broth, a little at a time. Texture should be moist, but not too wet.
- Put into a 9 x 13 pan, sprayed with non stick spray. Bake for 40 minutes.
- NOTE: for larger amounts, double all ingredients. For example, 3 loaves of bread, 3 stalks of celery, 3 medium onions, 9 tablespoons bacon grease, 3 eggs.