Recipe by mollypaul
A Southwestern version of shirred eggs from that chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Cooking time is approximate.
- 6 eggs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 onion, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- For the sauce: Cook onion in olive oil; add tomato puree and spices and cook until thickened.
- Preheat oven to 350F and butter custard cups.
- Break an egg into each cup and add 2 tablespoons sauce to each egg.
- Set cups in a pan of hot water and bake until whites of the eggs become firm, 7 to 10 minutes.