Cook1 hr 5 mins
We had this for Thanksgiving 2005 . It was wonderful!
Make and share this Barefoot Contessa's Vegetable Tian ( Ina Garten ) recipe from Food.com.
- olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions, cut in half and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb medium round potato, unpeeled
- 3⁄4 lb zucchini
- 1 1⁄4 lbs medium tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave, plus extra
- fresh thyme sprig
- 2 ounces gruyere cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Brush a 9 by 13 by 2-inch baking dish with olive oil.
- In a medium saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil and cook the onions over medium-low heat for 8 to 10 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Spread the onion mixture on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Slice the potatoes, zucchini, and tomatoes in 1/4-inch thick slices.
- Layer them alternately in the dish on top of the onions, fitting them tightly, making only 1 layer.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, thyme leaves, and thyme sprigs and drizzle with 1 more tablespoon of olive oil.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
- Uncover the dish, remove the thyme sprigs, sprinkle the cheese on top, and bake for another 30 minutes until browned.
- Serve warm.
I've made this dish several times. It is easy and excellent. I enjoy serving it for a family meal or when we have company. It is often requested by my husband. I love so many recipes by Ina Garten.
I was just looking for a way to use up some veggies I had in the house already, and was so very happy with the results!
I halve the ingredients, since i lack a proper casserole dish. My pie plate works great though!
It was so easy and delicious! I am definitely making this again.
Delicious and healthy. Really simple to make using a mandolin.