Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 6 jumbo egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup dark rum, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups brewed espresso, divided
- 16 -17 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 30 ladyfingers
- bittersweet chocolate, shaved
- confectioners' sugar (optional)
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment on high speed for about 5 minutes, or until very thick and light yellow.
- Lower the speed to medium and add 1/4 cup rum, 1/4 cup espresso, and the mascarpone. Whisk until smooth.
- Combine the remaining 1/4 cup rum and 1 1/4 cups espresso in a shallow bowl.
- Dip 1 side of each ladyfinger in the espresso/rum mixture and line the bottom of a 9 by 12 by 2-inch dish.
- Pour half the espresso cream mixture evenly on top.
- Dip 1 side of the remaining ladyfingers in the espresso/rum mixture and place them in a second layer in the dish.
- Pour the rest of the espresso cream over the top.
- Smooth the top and cover with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Before serving, sprinkle the top with shaved chocolate and dust lightly with confectioners' sugar, if desired.
- Notes: To make espresso for this recipe in your electric drip coffee maker, use enough water for 4 cups of coffee plus 1/3 cup of ground espresso.
- You can find savoiardi and mascarpone in an Italian specialty store.
This got 2 big thumbs up from DH! I was a little paranoid about using raw eggs so I whisked the yolks and sugar over a barely simmering double boiler until the mixture lightened and thickened enough to form ribbons. I also had to use brandy because I didn't have any dark rum. I did however use the Savoiardi, which soaks up the liquid so fast that anything more than a quick 1-second dunk will make it fall apart. I highly recommend Mascarpone Cheese - Make Your Own - Substitute for this recipe - it's much, much cheaper than buying mascarpone at the store. Thanks for posting - this is a rich but mildly sweet dessert that's super easy to make but looks SO impressive!