Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Adapted from Barefoot Contessa Family Style cookbook, 2002. Ina's recipe calls for 1/2 cup of tequila and our family thinks the tequila flavor is a little too strong, so have decreased the tequila to 1/4 cup.
- 1⁄4 cup gold tequila
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (5 to 6 limes)
- 1⁄2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (2 oranges)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
- 1 -1 1⁄2 tablespoon minced fresh jalapeno pepper
- 3 garlic cloves (fresh, minced)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 6 split boneless chicken breasts, skin on
- Combine the tequila, lime juice, orange juice, chili powder, minced cilantro, jalapeno pepper, garlic, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add the chicken breasts.
- Refrigerate overnight (or at LEAST 8 hours!).
- The next day, heat your grill and brush the rack with oil to prevent the chicken from sticking.
- Remove chicken breasts from the marinade, sprinkle well with salt and pepper, and grill them skin-side down for about 5 minutes, until nicely browned.
- Turn the chicken and cook for another 10 minutes, until just cooked through.
- Remove from grill to a plate.
- Cover tightly and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
- *Ina uses Cuervo Gold tequila.
- ** She also says there is NO substitute for freshly squeezed lime juice.
- ***Cook time does not include marinating the chicken overnight.
This was great! Even though it said to only use fresh lime juice, I only had bottled and it still turned out great. I also used a litte cayenne pepper instead of the jalapenos and it had a nice bite to it. I only had time to marinate it for about 5 hours and seemed to be enough. I will be making this again soon! I also want to try it on shrimp.