Adapted from Barefoot Contessa Family Style cookbook, 2002. Ina's recipe calls for 1/2 cup of tequila and our family thinks the tequila flavor is a little too strong, so have decreased the tequila to 1/4 cup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup gold tequila
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (5 to 6 limes)
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (2 oranges)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
- 1 -1 1/2 tablespoon minced fresh jalapeno pepper
- 3 garlic cloves (fresh, minced)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 6 split boneless chicken breasts, skin on
- 1Combine the tequila, lime juice, orange juice, chili powder, minced cilantro, jalapeno pepper, garlic, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
- 2Add the chicken breasts.
- 3Refrigerate overnight (or at LEAST 8 hours!).
- 4The next day, heat your grill and brush the rack with oil to prevent the chicken from sticking.
- 5Remove chicken breasts from the marinade, sprinkle well with salt and pepper, and grill them skin-side down for about 5 minutes, until nicely browned.
- 6Turn the chicken and cook for another 10 minutes, until just cooked through.
- 7Remove from grill to a plate.
- 8Cover tightly and let rest for 5 minutes.
- 9Serve hot or at room temperature.
- 10*Ina uses Cuervo Gold tequila.
- 11** She also says there is NO substitute for freshly squeezed lime juice.
- 12***Cook time does not include marinating the chicken overnight.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barefoot Contessa's Tequila Lime Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (212 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 276.3
- Calories from Fat 123
- Total Fat 13.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 92.8 mg
- Sodium 686.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 30.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: