Adapted from Barefoot Contessa Family Style cookbook, 2002. Ina's recipe calls for 1/2 cup of tequila and our family thinks the tequila flavor is a little too strong, so have decreased the tequila to 1/4 cup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup gold tequila
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (5 to 6 limes)
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (2 oranges)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
- 1 -1 1/2 tablespoon minced fresh jalapeno pepper
- 3 garlic cloves (fresh, minced)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 6 split boneless chicken breasts, skin on
- 1Combine the tequila, lime juice, orange juice, chili powder, minced cilantro, jalapeno pepper, garlic, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
- 2Add the chicken breasts.
- 3Refrigerate overnight (or at LEAST 8 hours!).
- 4The next day, heat your grill and brush the rack with oil to prevent the chicken from sticking.
- 5Remove chicken breasts from the marinade, sprinkle well with salt and pepper, and grill them skin-side down for about 5 minutes, until nicely browned.
- 6Turn the chicken and cook for another 10 minutes, until just cooked through.
- 7Remove from grill to a plate.
- 8Cover tightly and let rest for 5 minutes.
- 9Serve hot or at room temperature.
- 10*Ina uses Cuervo Gold tequila.
- 11** She also says there is NO substitute for freshly squeezed lime juice.
- 12***Cook time does not include marinating the chicken overnight.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barefoot Contessa's Tequila Lime Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (212 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 276.3
- Calories from Fat 123
- Total Fat 13.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 92.8 mg
- Sodium 686.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 30.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: