Luvs 2 Cook's Note:
This method makes the perfect steak every time. You can season how ever you like. I like to let my steaks marinate a while, that time is not included in times above. Show: Barefoot Contessa Episode: Steak and Sides
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2Heat a large, well-seasoned cast iron skillet over high heat until very hot, 5 to 7 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, pat the steaks dry with a paper towel and brush them lightly with vegetable oil.
- 4Combine the fleur de sel and cracked pepper on a plate and roll the steaks in the mixture, pressing lightly to evenly coat all sides.
- 5When the skillet is ready, add the steaks and sear them evenly on all sides for about 2 minutes per side, for a total of 10 minutes.
- 6Top each steak with a tablespoon of butter, if using, and place the skillet in the oven.
- 7Cook the steaks until they reach 120 degrees F for rare or 125 degrees F for medium-rare on an instant-read thermometer. (To test the steaks, insert the thermometer sideways to be sure you're actually testing the middle of the steak.)
- 8Remove the steaks to a serving platter, cover tightly with aluminum foil and allow to rest at room temperature for 10 minutes.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barefoot Contessa's Steakhouse Steaks
Serving Size: 1 (325 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 897.0
- Calories from Fat 679
- Total Fat 75.4 g
- Saturated Fat 27.1 g
- Cholesterol 198.4 mg
- Sodium 3606.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 51.4 g