Recipe by Luvs 2 Cook
This method makes the perfect steak every time. You can season how ever you like. I like to let my steaks marinate a while, that time is not included in times above. Show: Barefoot Contessa Episode: Steak and Sides
- 2 (10 ounce) filet mignon
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon fleur de sel
- 1 tablespoon coarsely cracked black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat a large, well-seasoned cast iron skillet over high heat until very hot, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pat the steaks dry with a paper towel and brush them lightly with vegetable oil.
- Combine the fleur de sel and cracked pepper on a plate and roll the steaks in the mixture, pressing lightly to evenly coat all sides.
- When the skillet is ready, add the steaks and sear them evenly on all sides for about 2 minutes per side, for a total of 10 minutes.
- Top each steak with a tablespoon of butter, if using, and place the skillet in the oven.
- Cook the steaks until they reach 120 degrees F for rare or 125 degrees F for medium-rare on an instant-read thermometer. (To test the steaks, insert the thermometer sideways to be sure you're actually testing the middle of the steak.)
- Remove the steaks to a serving platter, cover tightly with aluminum foil and allow to rest at room temperature for 10 minutes.