1/1 Photo of Barefoot Contessa's Sour Cream Coffee Cake
1 hr 30 mins
This recipe comes from Barefoot Contessa Parties! 2001.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups sour cream
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
For the streusel
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
For the glaze
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan.
- 3Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment for 4 to 5 minutes, until light. Add the eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla and sour cream.
- 4In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- 5With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture to the batter until just combined.
- 6Finish stirring with a spatula to be sure the batter is completely mixed.
- 7For the streusel, place the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and butter in a bowl and pinch together with your fingers until it forms a crumble.
- 8Mix in the walnuts, if desired.
- 9Spoon half the batter into the pan and spread it out with a knife.
- 10Sprinkle with 3/4 cup streusel.
- 11Spoon the rest of the batter in the pan, spread it out, and scatter the remaining streusel on top.
- 12Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean.
- 13Let cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes.
- 14Carefully transfer the cake, streusel-side up, onto a serving plate.
- 15Whisk the confectioners' sugar and maple syrup together, adding a few drops of water if necessary, to make the glaze runny. Drizzle as much as you like over the cake with a fork or spoon.
- 16**Cook time does not include cooling the cake for 30 minutes on wire rack.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barefoot Contessa's Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Serving Size: 1 (164 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 700.4
- Calories from Fat 285
- Total Fat 31.7 g
- Saturated Fat 19.1 g
- Cholesterol 165.0 mg
- Sodium 389.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 96.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 54.9 g
- Protein 8.4 g