This recipe comes from Barefoot Contessa Parties! 2001.
Make and share this Barefoot Contessa's Sour Cream Coffee Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups sour cream
- 2 1⁄2 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
For the streusel
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
For the glaze
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons real maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan.
- Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment for 4 to 5 minutes, until light. Add the eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla and sour cream.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture to the batter until just combined.
- Finish stirring with a spatula to be sure the batter is completely mixed.
- For the streusel, place the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and butter in a bowl and pinch together with your fingers until it forms a crumble.
- Mix in the walnuts, if desired.
- Spoon half the batter into the pan and spread it out with a knife.
- Sprinkle with 3/4 cup streusel.
- Spoon the rest of the batter in the pan, spread it out, and scatter the remaining streusel on top.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Let cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes.
- Carefully transfer the cake, streusel-side up, onto a serving plate.
- Whisk the confectioners' sugar and maple syrup together, adding a few drops of water if necessary, to make the glaze runny. Drizzle as much as you like over the cake with a fork or spoon.
- **Cook time does not include cooling the cake for 30 minutes on wire rack.
I doubled the stuesel recipe and used a mixture of icing suugar and water for the topping as I didn't have any maple on hand and it turned out great. After 45 minutes in the oven a toothpick came out a little wet so I put it back in for 5 minutes when I probably should have taken it out as it turned out a little dry.
Excellent recipe! I baked mine in a oven-safe silicone bundt cake pan with wonderful results.
5 Bright Star!!!!! Since there are only two of us I cut the cake recipe in half, but made the full recipe of streusel. Little difficult to split an eg so used two large eggs. Baked in a loaf pan for about 40 minutes (I'm at high altitude right now so probably will be only about 36-38 minutes at sea level). A great moist coffee cake! Thanks for sharing Juenessa!