Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A delicious thick soup. Perfect for fall and winter.
Make and share this Barefoot Contessa's Rosemary White Bean Soup recipe from Food.com.
- In a medium bowl, cover the beans with water by at least 1 inch and leave them in the refrigerator for 6 hours or overnight. Drain.
- In a large stockpot over low to medium heat, saute the onions with the olive oil until the onions are translucent, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook over low heat for 3 more minutes.
- Add the drained white beans, rosemary, chicken stock, and bay leaf. Cover, bring to a boil, and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, until the beans are very soft.
- Remove the rosemary branch and the bay leaf. Pass the soup through the coarsest blade of a food mill, or place in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade and pulse until coarsely pureed.
- Return the soup to the pot to reheat and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.
Yum! I scaled this down for two and used canned beans for ease. I also left everything whole instead of pureeing and let this simmer most of the morning for our lunch. Wonderful and comforting. I love the taste of fresh rosemary.Thanks for posting.
I made this tonite for dinner, and the house smells fabulous! As I was making it, my husband thought he would try it early and had a bowl before it was pureed. He preferred the broth-y consistency, so I split the soup 1/2 pureed, 1/2 broth-y. I must admit, the pureed version is less appetizing in appearance, but tastes the same. Next time I would add more veggies for color.
I love this soup, I have also made it in the crockpot by just dumping all the ingredients there and at the end, use the immersion blender to puree it. I also make it with large lima beans, it is comfort food and healthy.