Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Another simple yet delicious dish from Ina Garten.
Make and share this Barefoot Contessa's Roasted Shrimp and Orzo recipe from Food.com.
- kosher salt
- olive oil
- 3⁄4 lb orzo pasta (rice-shaped pasta)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice (3 lemons)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup minced scallion, white and green parts
- 1 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 hothouse cucumber, unpeeled, seeded, and medium-diced
- 1⁄2 cup small-diced red onion
- 3⁄4 lb good feta cheese, large diced
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Fill a large pot with water, add 1 tablespoon of salt and a splash of oil, and bring the water to a boil.
- Add the orzo and simmer for 9 to 11 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it's cooked al dente.
- Drain and pour into a large bowl.
- Whisk together the lemon juice, 1/2 cup olive oil, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper.
- Pour over the hot pasta and stir well.
- Meanwhile, place the shrimp on a sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Toss to combine and spread out in a single layer.
- Roast for 5 to 6 minutes, until the shrimp are cooked through.
- Don't overcook!
- Add the shrimp to the orzo and then add the scallions, dill, parsley, cucumber, onion, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper.
- Toss well.
- Add the feta and stir carefully.
- Set aside at room temperature for 1 hour to allow the flavors to blend, or refrigerate overnight.
- If refrigerated, taste again for seasonings and bring back to room temperature before serving.
- **Cook time does not include setting aside for 1 hour to allow flavors to blend.
This recipe is wonderful! Everyone that I have served it to loves it. But then I prepare it exactly as written. If you use EVOO, fresh dill and parsley, raw shrimp, fresh lemon, imported feta, etc. you will have a superb dish. I'm always amazed at some of the substitutions people use and their critique of the recipe. There is no way the end product will be as good as the intended recipe with some of these modifications!
Devine. Have made it so many times. I added halved kalamata olives and small grape tomatoes. EVERYONE asks for the recipe!!! A real crowd pleaser!!! Yum, I am drooling.
I prepared this recipe to the letter and my gosh, it's wonderful.