Recipe by Juenessa
From Barefoot Contessa Family Style Cookbook. Ina says this recipe was inspired by Julia Child. Note: Do not use packaged bread crumbs; you must use fresh bread crumbs!
- 6 ripe tomatoes (2 1/2 to 3-inches in diameter)
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh white breadcrumbs (5 slices, crusts removed)
- 1⁄4 cup minced scallion, white and green parts (2 scallions)
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh basil leaf
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup grated gruyere cheese
- olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the cores from the tomatoes, removing as little as possible.
- Cut them in half crosswise and, with your fingers, remove the seeds and juice.
- Place the tomato halves in a baking dish.
- In a bowl, combine the bread crumbs, scallions, basil, parsley, garlic, thyme, and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Sprinkle the tomato halves generously with salt and pepper.
- With your hands, fill the cavities and cover the tops of the tomatoes with the bread crumb mixture.
- Bake the tomatoes for 15 minutes, or until they're tender.
- Sprinkle with the cheese, drizzle with olive oil, and bake for 30 seconds more.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.