Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I just tried this recipe when I was looking for something to make for Lent and I love it! I love mushrooms and it's delicious in lasagna. It is from Barefoot Contessa at home cookbook.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil with 1 T salt and a splash of oil.
- Add the lasagna noodles and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally; drain and set aside.
- For the white sauce, bring the milk to a simmer in a saucepan; set aside.
- Melt 8 T (1 stick) of the butter in large saucepan.
- Add the flour and cook for 1 minute over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.
- Pour the hot milk into the butter-flour mixture all at once.
- Add 1 T salt, the pepper and nutmeg, and cook over medium-low heat, stirring first with the wooden spoon and then with a whisk, for 3-5 minutes, until thick.
- Set aside off the heat.
- Separate the mushroom stems from the caps and discard the stems.
- Slice the caps 1/4-inch thick.
- Heat 2 T of oil and 2 T of the butter in a large (12-inch) saute pan.
- When the butter melts, add half the mushrooms, sprinkle with salt, and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender and they release some of their juices.
- If they become too dry, add a little more oil.
- Toss occasionally to make sure the mushrooms cook evenly.
- Repeat with the remaining mushrooms and set all the mushrooms aside.
- To assemble the lasagna, spread some of the sauce in the bottom of an 8x12x2-inch baking dish.
- Arrange a layer of noodles on top, then more sauce, then one-third of the mushrooms, and 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese.
- Repeat two more times, layering noodles, sauce, mushrooms and Parmesan.
- Top with a final layer of noodles and sauce, and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan.
- Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes, or until the top is browned and the sauce is bubbly and hot.
- Allow to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes and serve hot.
I added spinach and marinated artichokes in with the mushrooms, so delicious! My mom and dad came for dinner and they were very impressed with this take on lasagna. I will make this again and again, as I just loved it!
Wow this is sooooo good! I cut it in half and baked it in a 9x9 for 30min which worked perfectly. Super rich and delicious. Definitely making again!
This was great. I wasn't sure about the nutmeg and mushrooms, but everything really worked. I added in about 5 cloves of chopped