Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
From Barefoot Contessa Parties! 2001. This recipe makes an absolutely beautiful dessert!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 12 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 lbs plums (firm, ripe Italian prune plums, pitted and quartered lengthwise)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine the flour, walnuts, and sugar in a large bowl.
- Add the butter and the egg yolk.
- Mix, either by hand or with an electric mixer, until crumbly.
- Press 1 1/2 cups of the crumb mixture in an even layer into the bottom of a 9 1/2-inch springform or tart pan.
- Arrange the plums in the pan, skin side down, to form a flower pattern; begin at the outside and work your way inches
- Sprinkle the rest of the crumb mixture evenly over the plums.
- Bake the tart for 40 to 50 minutes, or until it's lightly browned and the plum juices are bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and transfer the tart to a flat plate.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- **Cooling time is not included in cooking time.
I made this with wild plums, which are small and sweet with a tart skin. It was very good, not too sweet and I would make it again. Simple and delish.