Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This delicious pistou is actually taken from a Provencal Vegetable Soup recipe by the Barefoot Contessa. The pistou is meant to be added to the soup just before serving. While a wonderful addition for the soup, it was hard to keep my DH from eating all the pistou on crusty Italian bread! Now it is requested on a regular basis and tastes great with bread, crackers, or even raw veggies. You can even toss it with hot pasta. It's a little garlicky tho, so you may want to cut back on the garlic if you don't want it that strong.
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 24 large basil leaves
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- Place the garlic, tomato paste, basil, and Parmesan in the bowl of a food processor and puree.
- With the motor running, slowly pour the olive oil down the feed tube to make a paste.
- Pack into a container, pour a film of olive oil on top, and close the lid.
- Can also be whirled in a blender.
I made this tonight to go with Provencal Vegetable Soup. I've never had pistou before so didn't know whether I'd like it. Well, the verdict's in. I love it. It's delicious!