Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Barefoot Contessa Family Style cookbook, 2002.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus
- freshly grated parmesan cheese, extra for serving
- unsalted butter
- olive oil
- Pound the chicken breasts until they are 1/4 inch thick--you can use either a meat mallet or a rolling pin.
- Combine the flour, salt, and pepper on a dinner plate.
- In a bowl (big enough to dip the chicken), break the 2 eggs and whisk them together.
- On a second plate, combine the bread crumbs and 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese.
- Coat the chicken breasts on both sides with the flour mixture, then dip both sides into the egg mixture and dredge both sides in the bread crumb mixture, pressing lightly.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large saute pan and cook 2 or 3 chicken breasts on medium-low heat for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until cooked through.
- Add more butter and oil and cook the rest of the chicken breasts.
- Serve with extra grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.
This is one of my favorite recipes. I love it atop arugula with Ina's lemon vinaigrette dressing. I always want extra salad with this one.
Great recipe. I added ground almonds to the Parmesan cheese and added a little Panko for crunch. I get requests for this all the time.
Only thing I do differently is use Panko bread crumbs instead of the dry bread crumbs and put a little salt and pepper directly on the chicken breasts (besides putting some in the seasoned flour).