Recipe by abloom69
From her book "Parties"
Top Review by Chef Regina V. Smith
This is a great party salad. I served this as part of a summer "Spaghetti BBQ" party for 13 people. It is certainly a party friendly recipe as components of the salad can be prepared in advance and then just tossed together 30 minutes before serving. I will make this again. My tip would be to used the best quality olive oil that you can find. Thanks for posting.
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- 1 small French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (6 cups)
- 4.92 ml kosher salt
- 2 large firm ripe tomatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 English cucumber, unpeeled, seeded, and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 red onion, cut in 1/2 and thinly sliced
- 20 large basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 44.37 ml capers, drained
- 4.92 ml garlic, finely minced
- 2.46 ml Dijon mustard
- 44.37 ml champagne vinegar
- 118.29 ml olive oil
- 2.46 ml kosher salt
- 1.23 ml fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan.
- Add the bread and salt; cook over low to medium heat, tossing frequently, for 10 minutes, or until nicely browned.
- Add more oil as needed.
- For the Vinaigrette.
- Whisk all the ingredients together.
- In a large bowl, mix the tomatoes, cucumber, red pepper, yellow pepper, red onion, basil, and capers.
- Add the bread cubes and toss with the vinaigrette.
- Season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Serve, or allow the salad to sit for about half an hour for the flavors to blend.