Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is just busting with great orange flavor. I have always been fond of citrus cakes.
- 226.79 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 591.47 ml granulated sugar, divided
- 4 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 78.07 ml grated orange zest (6 oranges)
- 709.77 ml all-purpose flour
- 2.46 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml kosher salt
- 177.44 ml freshly squeezed orange juice, divided
- 177.44 ml buttermilk, at room temperature
- 4.92 ml pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Butter and flour 2 loaf pans.
- Cream butter and 2 cups of sugar in a bowl.
- Mix in eggs, one at a time; add zest.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
- In another bowl mix 1/4 cup orange juice, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Add flour and buttermilk mixture aternately to the batter, beginning and ending with flour.
- Divide between 2 pans and smooth the tops.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until tester comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- Make syrup while cake is baking.
- Syrup consists of remaining 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup orange juice.
- Cooks these two together over low heat till the sugar is desolved.
- Spoon over cakes and then allow them to cool completely.
- You may glaze these cakes (after cooling) with a simple glaze but I don't usually.
Very moist and tender crumb. Not too sweet and bursting with orange flavor.
Wow....this cake is full of orange flavor and very delicious. I mixed ALL the ingredients together at one time and skipped the orange syrup. What a smart move! I did not have buttermilk on hand so I used plain yogurt instead. Yogurt is the same measurement as the buttermilk. Also used a bundt pan instead of bread pans. Baked for 1 hour to perfection. <br/><br/>For those of you who count calories, this is 313 calories per 3 oz. slice.
I made this receipe directly from the BC's cookbook (which included the frosting/simple syrup). Delicious and dense like a pound cake should be. The fresh orange zest and juice is amazing! I used a tree cake form pan and cooked for ~65 minutes on 350 convection. Beautiful!