This is just busting with great orange flavor. I have always been fond of citrus cakes.
Make and share this Barefoot Contessa's Orange Pound Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 lb unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 4 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 1⁄3 cup grated orange zest (6 oranges)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3⁄4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice, divided
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Butter and flour 2 loaf pans.
- Cream butter and 2 cups of sugar in a bowl.
- Mix in eggs, one at a time; add zest.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
- In another bowl mix 1/4 cup orange juice, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Add flour and buttermilk mixture aternately to the batter, beginning and ending with flour.
- Divide between 2 pans and smooth the tops.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until tester comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- Make syrup while cake is baking.
- Syrup consists of remaining 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup orange juice.
- Cooks these two together over low heat till the sugar is desolved.
- Spoon over cakes and then allow them to cool completely.
- You may glaze these cakes (after cooling) with a simple glaze but I don't usually.