From Barefoot Contessa Family Style cookbook, 2002. My kids love these mashed potatoes and request them often!
- Cook the potatoes in a large pot of boiling salted water for 15 to 20 minutes, until very tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter and half-and-half in a small saucepan.
- Drain the potatoes.
- While still hot, place the potatoes in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the hot half-and-half mixture, the sour cream, 2 teaspoons salt, and the pepper.
- Mix until the potatoes are mashed but not completely smooth.
- Serve hot.