Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Barefoot Contessa Family Style cookbook, 2002. My kids love these mashed potatoes and request them often!
- 3 lbs white boiling potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄4 lb unsalted butter
- 1⁄2-1 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Cook the potatoes in a large pot of boiling salted water for 15 to 20 minutes, until very tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter and half-and-half in a small saucepan.
- Drain the potatoes.
- While still hot, place the potatoes in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the hot half-and-half mixture, the sour cream, 2 teaspoons salt, and the pepper.
- Mix until the potatoes are mashed but not completely smooth.
- Serve hot.
Perhaps the best mashed potatoes I've ever had! Thanks for posting :)
Made half recipe, using less butter, 2% milk, and Recipe #39350 for creamy potatoes with less calories and fat, and did not need gravy for taste. Served with Recipe #261176. Thanks for sharing Juenessa. Made for When It's Hot Tag Game.
These are great mashed potatoes. Love how they are so creamy. We will use this recipe a lot. Thanks for posting.