Another wonderful recipe from Ina Garten. On her show she also made Barefoot Contessa's Blueberry Sauce. This cake is similar to a pound cake in texture, but it's also very moist, lemony and wonderful!
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar, divided
- 3 extra-large eggs
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, grated (zest of 2 lemons)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
For the glaze
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease an 8 1/2 by 4 1/4 by 2 1/2-inch loaf pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper. Grease and flour the pan.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into 1 bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together the yogurt, 1 cup sugar, the eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla.
- Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. With a rubber spatula, fold the vegetable oil into the batter, making sure it's all incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a cake tester placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, cook the 1/3 cup lemon juice and remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a small pan until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Set the lemon syrup aside.
- When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Carefully place on a baking rack over a sheet pan. While the cake is still warm, pour the lemon-sugar syrup over the cake and allow it to soak inches Cool.
- For the glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar and lemon juice and pour over the cake.