Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Great served with a salad, garlic bread and a nice Chianti! Very generous servings.
Make and share this Barefoot Contessa's Lasagna recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (1 onion)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, divided
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil leaf
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 lb lasagna noodle
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 3 -4 ounces creamy goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus 1/4 cup for sprinkling
- 1 extra-large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 lb fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat the olive oil in a large (10 to 12-inch) skillet. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes over medium-low heat, until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add the sausage and cook over medium-low heat, breaking it up with a fork, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until no longer pink. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, 2 tablespoons of the parsley, the basil, 1½ teaspoons of the salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Simmer, uncovered, over medium-low heat, for 25-30 minutes, until thickened and tomatoes have reached desired taste.
- Meanwhile, fill a large bowl with the hottest tap water. Add the noodles and allow them to sit in the water for 20 minutes. Drain.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, goat cheese, 1 cup of Parmesan, the egg, the remaining 2 tablespoons of parsley, remaining ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Set aside.
- Ladle 1/3 of the sauce into a 9 by 12 by 2-inch rectangular baking dish, spreading the sauce over the bottom of the dish. Then add the layers as follows: half the pasta, half the mozzarella, half the ricotta, and one 1/3 of the sauce. Add the rest of the pasta, mozzarella, ricotta, and finally, sauce. Sprinkle with ¼ cup of Parmesan.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling.
I'm giving this five stars because my guests and husband really loved it. I found it to be a bit too cheesy/salty. If I were to make it again I'd cut back on the mozzarella to 3/4lb. Fresh mozzarella definitely makes all the difference. I was suprised at how well it held up with only two layers of pasta. I did use whole wheat sheets of pasta, which I think helped. (Couldn't tell they were whole wheat)
My Husband's favorite meal is lasagna. This is by far the best one I've ever made for him. So rich and flavorful! My entire family and extended family loves it. Never had one person I've made it for not rave about it. Making it tonight for my baby's third birthday!
Great recipe! Best lasagna I ever made! The recipe is perfect! I followed the recipe exactly (including adding the goat cheese!) it turned out perfect! I think this is the only lasagna I'm going to make from now on.