Recipe by Oolala
This sounds so delicious! The Barefoot Contessa recommends using Valrhona (French) or Callebaut (Belgain) brands of high quality chocolate for this so splurge!
Top Review by NorthwestGal
This is a very tasty, decadent hot choclate drink. It had such a rich chocolate flavor, and was very smooth and creamy. The cinnamon stick or vanilla bean is very handy to use to stir the drink throughout, keeping all the flavors from separating. Made for the "Secret Ingredient" tag game.
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 4 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso (or coffee powder)
- 4 -5 vanilla beans (or cinnamon sticks)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat milk and half and half in a saucepan on medium heat to just below the simmering point.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add both types of chocolate.
- When they are melted, add the sugar, vanilla extract and espresso and whisk vigorously.
- Reheat gently and serve immedietly garnished with vanilla beans or cinnamon sticks.