Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs 30 mins
From Barefoot Contessa Family Style cookboo, 2002.
Make and share this Barefoot Contessa's Homemade Chicken Stock recipe from Food.com.
- 1360.77-2267.96 g roasting chickens
- 3 large yellow onions, unpeeled, quartered
- 6 carrots, unpeeled, halved
- 4 stalk celery & leaves, cut in thirds
- 4 parsnips, unpeeled, cut in half (optional)
- 20 sprig fresh parsley
- 15 sprig fresh thyme
- 20 sprig fresh dill
- 1 head garlic, unpeeled, cut in half crosswise
- 29.58 ml kosher salt
- 9.85 ml whole black peppercorns
- Place the chickens, onions, carrots, celery, parsnips, parsley, thyme, dill, garlic, and seasonings in a 16 to 20 quart stockpot.
- Add 7 quarts of water and bring to a boil.
- Simmer uncovered for 4 hours.
- Strain the entire contents of the pot through a colander and discard the solids.
- Chill the stock overnight.
- The next day, remove the surface fat.
- Use immediately or pack in containers and freeze for up to 3 months.
- **Cooking time does not include chilling the stock overnight.
I hope this doesn't sound dumb, but do you throw away all of the chicken meat once the stock is ready?
PLEASE NOTE: If you don't have fresh dill sprigs, substitute 1/4 tsp dried dill for each sprig (5 tsp in this recipe). If you don't have fresh thyme, substitute 1/2 tsp dried thyme per sprig (2 1/2 Tbsp in this recipe). That info wasn't easy for me to find!<br/><br/>Delicious! Best chicken broth recipe I have tried yet... no need to search any more. Yum! I used a rotisserrie chicken from Costco. I removed 3 cups of meat before throwing in the chicken. It made about 17 cups of broth after simmering 4 hours. I tried to press as much liquid as possible from the mass of solids. It just has a great flavor. Thanks for a great recipe. (by the way I didn't use parsnips only because I didn't have any on hand... and since it's optional, but I'd love to try it with parsnips).
awesomeness! it smells and tastes great