- 3 -5 lbs roasting chickens
- 3 large yellow onions, unpeeled, quartered
- 6 carrots, unpeeled, halved
- 4 stalks celery & leaves, cut in thirds
- 4 parsnips, unpeeled, cut in half (optional)
- 20 sprigs fresh parsley
- 15 sprigs fresh thyme
- 20 sprigs fresh dill
- 1 head garlic, unpeeled, cut in half crosswise
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the chickens, onions, carrots, celery, parsnips, parsley, thyme, dill, garlic, and seasonings in a 16 to 20 quart stockpot.
- Add 7 quarts of water and bring to a boil.
- Simmer uncovered for 4 hours.
- Strain the entire contents of the pot through a colander and discard the solids.
- Chill the stock overnight.
- The next day, remove the surface fat.
- Use immediately or pack in containers and freeze for up to 3 months.
- **Cooking time does not include chilling the stock overnight.