1/1 Photo of Barefoot Contessa's Homemade Chicken Stock
4 hrs 30 mins
From Barefoot Contessa Family Style cookboo, 2002.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -5 lbs roasting chickens
- 3 large yellow onions, unpeeled, quartered
- 6 carrots, unpeeled, halved
- 4 stalks celery & leaves, cut in thirds
- 4 parsnips, unpeeled, cut in half (optional)
- 20 sprigs fresh parsley
- 15 sprigs fresh thyme
- 20 sprigs fresh dill
- 1 head garlic, unpeeled, cut in half crosswise
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 1Place the chickens, onions, carrots, celery, parsnips, parsley, thyme, dill, garlic, and seasonings in a 16 to 20 quart stockpot.
- 2Add 7 quarts of water and bring to a boil.
- 3Simmer uncovered for 4 hours.
- 4Strain the entire contents of the pot through a colander and discard the solids.
- 5Chill the stock overnight.
- 6The next day, remove the surface fat.
- 7Use immediately or pack in containers and freeze for up to 3 months.
- 8**Cooking time does not include chilling the stock overnight.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barefoot Contessa's Homemade Chicken Stock
Serving Size: 1 (2041 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 392.1
- Calories from Fat 212
- Total Fat 23.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 106.9 mg
- Sodium 2495.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 27.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: