Recipe by Antifreesz
This is an Easter favorite in my home. Grilled lamb with the oven roasted fruit is an excellent choice and a nice change from mint jelly or "white sauce". Have the butcher butterfly it to save you the time and hassle.
- 2 lbs regular plain yogurt or 2 lbs low-fat yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice (3 lemons)
- 3⁄4 cup whole fresh rosemary leaf (2 large bunches)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (5 lb) butterflied leg of lamb (9 pounds bone-in)
oven roasted fruit
- 6 peaches, pitted and cut into quarters
- 6 plums or 6 italian plums, pitted and quartered
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the yogurt, olive oil, lemon zest and juice, rosemary, salt, and pepper in a large non-reactive bowl.
- Add the lamb, making sure it is covered with marinade.
- Marinate in the refrigerator, covered, overnight or for up to 3 days.
- Bring the lamb to room temperature.
- Prepare a charcoal grill with hot coals.
- Scrape the marinade off the lamb, wipe the meat with paper towels, and season it generously with salt and pepper.
- Brush the grill with oil to keep the lamb from sticking, and grill on both sides until the internal temperature is 120 to 125 degrees for rare.
- This will take 40 minutes to 1 hour, depending on how hot the grill is.
- Remove the lamb to a cutting board, cover with aluminum foil, and allow to rest for 20 minutes.
- slice and serve with oven roasted fruit.
- Oven Roasted Fruit;.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place the peaches and plums snugly in a single layer, cut side up, in 2 glass or porcelain oven-proof baking dishes.
- Sprinkle with the sugar, and then top with the raspberries.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until tender.
- Heat the broiler and place the fruit about 5 inches below the heat and broil for 5 to 8 minutes, until the berries release some of their juices.
- Remove from the broiler and sprinkle with orange juice.
- Serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled over grilled lamb.