Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1 1⁄4 cups half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups old cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 stalks green onions, chopped
- black pepper
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the salt, then slowly add the grits in a thin steady stream. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until grits thicken, 5-7 minutes.
- Add the half and half and butter to the grits and stir. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Cover the pot, reduce the heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally for 45 minutes, until very smooth and creamy. Off the heat, stir in the cheddar cheese, green onions, and pepper. Season to taste and serve hot.
Great recipe. Very easy to make. My family just loved it. Thanks!
I am a New Yorker with a love for southern grits. This is one of the best I have ever make. The recipe is simple and the outcome is heavenly!
Follow this recipe exactly, people. Ina knows what she is doing - I just made this tonight and it was bliss on a plate. I served it with shrimp and salsa and my husband and I loved it.