Recipe by Juenessa
I saw Ina make these muffins on her food network television show entitled "Breakfast In, Breakfast Out".
- 1 cup unprocessed wheat bran
- 1 cup buttermilk (shaken)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 6 tablespoons unsulphured molasses
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup large-diced banana
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place paper liners into 1 (10 or 12-cup) muffin tin.
- Combine the bran and buttermilk and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment for about 5 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- With the mixer on low, add the eggs, 1 at a time.
- Scrape the bowl and then add the molasses, orange zest, and vanilla. (The mixture will look curdled.)
- Add the bran/buttermilk mixture and combine.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the flour mixture to the batter just until combined.
- Don't overmix it!
- Fold in the raisins, bananas and walnuts with a rubber spatula.
- With an ice cream scoop or large spoon, fill the muffin cups to the top and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean.