1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 5 mins
Yes that's 40 cloves of garlic. Ina made this a few weeks ago and I had to write it down to keep. This recipe is absolutely amazing. The chicken has the best flavor. Definitely a garlic lover's delight.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 whole heads of garlic, about 40 cloves
- 2 (3 1/2 lb) chicken, cut into eighths
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons cognac, divided
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1Separate the cloves of garlic and drop them into a pot of boiling water for 60 seconds. Drain the garlic and peel. Set aside.
- 2Dry the chicken with paper towels. Season liberally with salt and pepper on both sides.
- 3Heat the butter and oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- 4In batches, saute the chicken in the fat, skin side down first, until nicely browned, about 3 to 5 minutes on each side.
- 5Turn with tongs or a spatula; you don't want to pierce the skin with a fork. If the fat is burning, turn the heat down to medium.
- 6When a batch is done, transfer it to a plate and continue to saute all the chicken in batches.
- 7Remove the last chicken to the plate and add all of the garlic to the pot.
- 8Lower the heat and saute for 5 to 10 minutes, turning often, until evenly browned.
- 9Add 2 tablespoons of the Cognac and the wine, return to a boil, and scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- 10Return the chicken to the pot with the juices and sprinkle with the thyme leaves. Cover and simmer over the lowest heat for about 30 minutes, until all the chicken is done.
- 11Remove the chicken to a platter and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- 12In a small bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup of the sauce and the flour and then whisk it back into the sauce in the pot.
- 13Raise the heat, add the remaining tablespoon of Cognac and the cream, and boil for 3 minutes.
- 14Add salt and pepper, to taste; it should be very flavorful because chicken tends to be bland. Pour the sauce and the garlic over the chicken and serve hot.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barefoot Contessa's Chicken With 40 Cloves Garlic
Serving Size: 1 (482 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 968.8
- Calories from Fat 594
- Total Fat 66.0 g
- Saturated Fat 19.3 g
- Cholesterol 306.6 mg
- Sodium 283.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 74.8 g