1/1 Photo of Barefoot Contessa's Cauliflower Gratin
From Barefoot in Paris cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs cauliflower, cut into large florets
- kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups hot milk
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 3/4 cup freshly grated gruyere, divided
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- 2Cook the cauliflower florets in a large pot of boiling salted water for 5 to 6 minutes, until tender but still firm.
- 4Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat.
- 5Add the flour, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon for 2 minutes.
- 6Pour the hot milk into the butter-flour mixture and stir until it comes to a boil.
- 7Boil, whisking constantly, for 1 minute, or until thickened.
- 8Off the heat, add 1 teaspoon of salt, the pepper, nutmeg, 1/2 cup of the Gruyere, and the Parmesan.
- 9Pour 1/3 of the sauce on the bottom of an 8 by 11 by 2-inch baking dish.
- 10Place the drained cauliflower on top and then spread the rest of the sauce evenly on top.
- 11Combine the bread crumbs with the remaining 1/4 cup of Gruyere and sprinkle on top.
- 12Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and drizzle over the gratin.
- 13Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 14Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the top is browned.
- 15Serve hot or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Cauliflower Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cauliflower Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barefoot Contessa's Cauliflower Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (348 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 451.0
- Calories from Fat 247
- Total Fat 27.5 g
- Saturated Fat 16.4 g
- Cholesterol 80.8 mg
- Sodium 472.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 23.0 g